Multiple data sets, 2 variables, how to proceed

• 2 Replies

RaptorUK

• View Profile
Multiple data sets, 2 variables, how to proceed
« on: December 03, 2021, 11:38:47 am »
Hi folks,

I was searching via Google for tools to create formulas from data sets, what Excel provides me by way of a trendline formula was somewhat helpful but ended up not being quite precise enough for my needs.  So I can across TuringBot and it can do a much better job . . .  obviously. 

So started using on simple X vs Y data and it seemed to do a good job . . .  so I thought "I wonder if it can take all my data sets in one go"

I have X vs Y data at various fixed Z values, I want to be able to predict my Y value for given X and Z values.  It seemed to be working until I started testing using the prediction tab, the values were obviously wrong.  For a set X value when I vary the Z value the predicted Y value should increase or decrease with it . . . this wasn't happening.  Increasing the  Z would sometimes lead to a increasing Y sometimes a decreasing Y.

Hope this makes sense . . .  What I think is happening is that TuringBot assumes all the data is one single series . . . when it is actually several different series.  So I need it to do a regression in 2 dimensions . . . I think.  Is this possible ?

My excel data looks like this,  this may help to explain a little better:

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple data sets, 2 variables, how to proceed
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 12:07:34 pm »
Hello RaptorUK,

TuringBot's plot makes it seem like it works in 1 dimension, but in reality, it can find relationships in any number of dimensions.

In your case, you are looking for Y = f(X, Z). The best way is to combine all your datasets into a single input file while adding a corresponding Z column to each row. This way, you can use the program to find a general formula Y = f(X, Z) without having to run multiple regressions.

I hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 12:09:53 pm by admin »

RaptorUK

• View Profile
Re: Multiple data sets, 2 variables, how to proceed
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 06:11:19 pm »
Hello RaptorUK,

TuringBot's plot makes it seem like it works in 1 dimension, but in reality, it can find relationships in any number of dimensions.

In your case, you are looking for Y = f(X, Z). The best way is to combine all your datasets into a single input file while adding a corresponding Z column to each row. This way, you can use the program to find a general formula Y = f(X, Z) without having to run multiple regressions.

I hope this makes sense.

Hi,

many thanks for the reply . . .  I think I had done this already,  I did have three columns in my CSV file,  I have further refined this to remove duplicates and maintain an ascending order for the target variable.

It looks like it's working better now but I need to do more predictions to make sure . . .

Thanks again for the help.